News Canada

Second woman, Reva Seth, goes public with Ghomeshi allegation

Toronto Sun crime reporter Chris Doucette. (Sun files)

By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun

Reva Seth is the second woman to put her name behind allegations against Jian Ghomeshi. (TheMomShift.com)

Reva Seth is the second woman to put her name behind allegations against Jian Ghomeshi. (TheMomShift.com)

***WARNING: Story contains graphic content***

TORONTO - Another woman has put her name behind allegations that radio host Jian Ghomeshi went from charming to monstrous in the blink of an eye.

Reva Seth, a lawyer and best-selling author, became the ninth woman to come forward when she wrote for the Huffington Post Thursday.

"The reason I ultimately decided to share this is two-fold," wrote Seth. "The first is that it shows a pattern that has certainly escalated since I knew him. Additionally, I feel that while it is exceedingly difficult to publicly put your name forward and open yourself up to all of the accompanying criticism, if you are in the position that you can do so without fearing the ramifications in terms of your family, marriage, personal or professional trauma, then you should do it."


MORE STORIES:


When contact via e-mail Thursday evening, Seth declined to comment beyond what she had written for Huffington Post.

"Thanks for reaching out -- I appreciate the note and support -- I hope you understand that a couple of reasons I'm not going to be speaking to any media -- partly time related but also while I wanted to add my name I don't want to keep sharing the story," she told the QMI Agency's Joe Warmington.

Seth, now married with three sons, says she went out with Ghomeshi a few times in 2002 when she was 26.

"We never talked about anything related to BDSM and had only very casually fooled around — a bit of kissing," she recalled.

Then one Sunday night, while enjoying a drink and smoking pot at Ghomeshi's home, she claims their "low-key" relationship took a dark turn.

"Suddenly, it was like he became a different person," Seth alleged. "He was super angry, almost frenzied and disassociated.

"I distinctly remember the jarring sense of suddenly being abruptly shaken out of my reverie," she said. "I remember thinking 'what the f--- is going on here? What's wrong with him?'"

Seth said Ghomeshi put his hands around her throat without warning, pulled down her pants and was "aggressively and violently digitally penetrating me."

Seth said she moved on with her life and tried not to think about Ghomeshi.

But Thursday morning she heard Lucy DeCoutere on CBC Radio One's The Current sharing her strikingly similar allegations and urging women "to not be afraid to tell their own stories."

DeCoutere, who is a captain in the Canadian Forces but is best known for her character Lucy on Trailer Park Boys, said she dated Ghomeshi briefly in 2002 or 2003 and saw no hint of aggression at the outset.

But later, while on a date at his Toronto home, she alleged he went from "smooching" to "choking" and "slapping" in a heartbeat.

"It wasn't a kink thing," DeCoutere said, from her home in Fredericton, N.B. "I know that because it didn't feel sexy."

"At a certain point we started kissing," DeCoutere said, adding Ghomeshi allegedly grabbed her suddenly by the throat, pushed her against the wall and slapped her in the face.

"I wasn't close to blacking out, but I couldn't breathe," she alleged.

Like the others, DeCoutere said she was caught off guard and had no idea how to react.

"Adults don't slap each other across the face unless there's an agreement," she said. "We were not that intimate. We were not in that place."

CBC abruptly fired Ghomeshi last weekend, stating information had been brought to their attention "that in the CBC's judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship."

Ghomeshi, 47, subsequently released a lengthy Facebook statement admitting he engages in BSDM, but claiming any allegations his behaviour was non-consensual are lies and part of a campaign started by a "jilted" ex-lover to smear his reputation.

Ghomeshi issued another brief Facebook statement Thursday.

"I want to thank you for your support and assure you that I intend to meet these allegations directly," he wrote.

Communications firms Navigator and Rock-it Promotions have both severed ties with Ghomeshi.


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions