Barrie's offence comes to life in 5-4 shootout win over Mississauga

By Stephen Sweet, Special to Postmedia Network

Barrie Colts defenceman Joey Keane, watches Colts goalie David Ovsjannikov sweep away the puck against the Mississauga Steelheads during second period OHL action at the Barrie Molson Centre Thursday night.


Barrie Colts defenceman Joey Keane, watches Colts goalie David Ovsjannikov sweep away the puck against the Mississauga Steelheads during second period OHL action at the Barrie Molson Centre Thursday night. IAN MCINROY/BARRIE EXAMINER/POSTMEDIA


The Barrie Colts needed to start scoring goals at home.


Getting four in regulation was just what the doctor ordered.


The Colts and Mississauga Steelheads went to a shootout before Roy Radke scored the winner, as Barrie's offensive output was just enough in a 5-4 win.


“Yeah, we had a little bit of pressure on us (to score),” said Colts defenceman Tom Hedberg. “We hadn't been scoring much on (home ice), so it was really nice that it kind of went our way this evening.”


The Colts, who were shut out on home ice a week ago for the second time this season, needed to get something on the board in the opening 20 minutes to ensure that nothing would weigh on them this time.


A first-period goal did the trick.


Radke put forth an impressive effort in the offensive zone, and his third attempt, immediately after the second one was blocked, would go over the left shoulder of Mississauga starter Jake Ingham to give Barrie a 1-0 lead.


The Steelheads had a very dangerous top unit featuring high-end prospect Owen Tippett alongside Michael McLeod and Nathan Bastian, with the latter two having played a big role in Mississauga taking Barrie to seven games in the first round of the OHL playoffs a season ago.


That trio danced through the Colts end, creating a handful of chances, but Barrie goalie David Ovsjannikov stuck with the Steelheads forwards, which included making a diving redirect of a pass coming to the front of the net that would have been a Grade 'A' scoring opportunity.


“We knew that before that they had some really skilled guys,” Hedberg said. “When we were on the ice with them, we just had to play hard against them, don't give them much time and play tight.


“We just had to watch our back and look around so no one is (open).”


At the other end, Ingham, the Barrie native, was making his first-career start at the Barrie Molson Centre, and stayed sharp to stop nine of the 10 shots he would face in the first, keeping the Steelheads down just 1-0 after the first period.


The common theme from then on in would be Barrie pulling ahead before Mississauga would tie things up.


First, Scoley Dow potted one from the side of the net in the second period to even the score for the Steelheads.


Later in the period, a point shot from Hedberg was stopped by Ingham, but the rebound slipped through where, on the second try, Lucas Chiodo would bang it in.


That gave Barrie a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes, just the second time all season it had led after two periods on home ice.


Tippett would take that advantage away, as he banged home his own rebound early in the third to put Mississauga back on even terms.


The Steelheads looked primed to pull ahead soon after, with Cam Lizotte being whistled down for slashing.


But the Colts would take it the other way, and after Anthony Stefano sent Chiodo forward with a lead pass, the local product would drop the puck in the offensive zone for the overager to skate through.


Stefano picked it up and snapped a perfect shot to the top-right corner, putting Barrie ahead 3-2.


“You get a lot of energy from it when we're shorthanded, when we're really not supposed to score, I guess,” Hedberg said. “Then, when we do it, everyone on the team steps up a little bit.”


That lead would be short lived as Nic Hague hammered a point shot through a crowd to tie the game with 8:01 to go.


Both teams played things tight from then on out, but a failed clearing attempt was stopped by Hedberg at the blue line while the puck was still rolling.


The Swedish defenceman fired a knuckler that went just over Ingham's pad to give Barrie the lead and Hedberg his first-career OHL goal.


“I saw it rolling a little bit and I wanted to get it down on the goal,” Hedberg said. “I saw I had an opportunity to shoot it down and I went for it.


“I didn't really aim or anything, I just got a little lucky and that's part of the game.”


Mississauga pulled the goalie with 1:45 to go, and following a timeout, had consistent possession in the zone.


Hague's point shot was blocked by a turning Lizotte, but went right to Ryan McLeod, who buried it from the side of the goal to push the game to overtime.


While the extra frame saw plenty of action, no one could score, sending things to a shootout.


Ovsjannikov had no problem with Mississauga's attempts, as Michael McLeod lost the handle, Bastian shot wide and Tippett fired one into his pads.


Radke, Barrie's second shooter, wired one that hit the post, bounced off of Ingham's skate, and went in.


The goal was briefly reviewed but it stood, and was the only goal of the shootout.


Barrie will look to improve on its modest two-win streak at home on Saturday against the Guelph Storm.


“We need to keep doing what we've been doing for the last two games,” Hedberg said. “We've got to take care of our bodies in between, and then just keep playing the way we've been playing.”


After picking up nine goals in the past two games, that means continuing that offensive pressure that's led to some success.


“We have to shoot a lot and then just drive to the net to get the rebounds and stuff like that,” Hedberg said.


Lucas Chiodo: 1G, 1A
Tom Hedberg: 1G, 1A

Roy Radke: 1G, shootout winner

Anthony Stefano: 1G

Matt Brassard: 1A

Adrian Carbonara: 1A

Cam Lizotte: 1A

David Ovsjannikov: 35 saves

Jake Ingham (Barrie native): 26 saves